Wednesday, January 31, 2007

This will all blow over

What will? Oh, just my apartment complex. At least that's what it felt like a couple nights ago, when the wind blew so hard that the curtains over my CLOSED windows were moving. And every crack in the doors or windows created a nice high-pitched wistle that woke me up every 20 min. in the night. I don't think they have sealant over here... We have these roller shades that we can roll down over some of our windows and over our balcony, and so we put them down over the balcony in hopes that it would cut down the wind that was blowing through our closed windows. But they didn't help a bit. The next morning as I walked two steps forward and blew one step back all the way down to school, I was nearly blown over by the strength of the wind. It was taking tiles off the roofs. Kind of dangerous, if you ask me. When Mary and I got back to our appartment our shades over the balcony were completely torn about and off the tracking system. They are apparently not strong enough to withstand 70mph wind. After great struggle and much time I was actually able to fix them, so they are back to functioning, but just not in the great condition they were in earlier. Oh, and this is the day after 1) I dropped my jelly jar and scattered glass all over my feet and the kitchen floor, 2) Mary fried our vacuum cleaner (it started on fire and has been rendered useless), and our shower hose tore, so we have little pressure and very erratic shower streams. When it rains it pours. When it blows, lean into it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I enjoyed your description of the winds ravaging Budapest! : )

It's fun to read your blog every so often. I have you bookmarked!

From your neighbor down the street (in Kenosha of course),

Kam

PS Andrea is loving Spain . . . as well as anywhere else she can get to by train, plane, or bus!

Lisa Blomquist said...

Hi Kam, great to hear from you! I'm actually just down the street from you right now. i am back for about 3 weeks. Hopefully I will get to see you. I need to email Andrea and invite her to come stay with me in Budapest. It would be so fun to have her there, and I could be her doting tour guide!

Lisa