Saturday, June 21, 2008

night at the museum

I haven't been sleeping well recently, and I'm sure it's in part due to the fact that I was dog-sitting for this adorable little white ball of energy, who slept in the same room as me (she wouldn't have it any other way). Even though she stayed in her cage, just knowing there was another creature in the room and one that was noisy allowed only for light sleep. Not to mention that she would wake up at daybreak, 5am. And so I would wake up then, too. In fact, even though last night I was luxuriously back in my own bed in a quiet house with the curtains drawn and a pleasant breeze blowing through the open window, I woke up at 5:15. It's Saturday. I'm on summer break. I can afford to sleep in. I was mad and so stubbornly tried to make myself fall back asleep, but to no avail. I generally enjoy getting up early to get a head start on things, but not when I could really use the sleep more than the productivity. And not when I'm planning on staying up until midnight or later tonight.

Last year Budapest started an annual "museum night", where all the museums are free from 6pm to 2am. They provide shuttle buses to cart you around the city between museums. I feel like I have been to many of the museums already, but there are many more to see, apparently. So I am joining up with Justin and Michelle Custer, the other members of the science dept. at ICSB, and a fellow runner that I met recently, Jen, and we're going to check this out. I'm excited, but I have heard the lines are terribly long...we'll see.

I have to say, the good thing about getting up at 6am is that I can get so much done and it will only be 11am by the time i'm finished. With Paula and Heather packing up and moving out and me living between two places, there was a lot of chaos that I came back to after dog-sitting. But I have already cleaned up so much and organized so much and just about everything is back in its rightful place. I feel much better about myself.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Do you think Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson will be there?! :)

Nature Notes from Nadvornia said...

oh the freedom, luxury, and productivity of getting things done alone! I love the feeling of straightening things out... bummer about the waking up "for no reason"- I hate when that happens! Actually, these days I begrudge even waking up when there is a reason! =)
What a cool idea for the museums! I hope you have a blast and that you blog about it. Seriously, even if you blogged about what you ate for breakfast I would enjoy it- I hope you can update more frequently now that you're on summer break. No pressure ;) Love you!