

So somewhere I had the brilliant idea of holding swimming lessons for the missionary families that are also staying around for the summer. I think I was missing my old gym job and all the crazy things I would get into over the summers in Chicagoland. So, with the help of a couple moms, I struck a deal with a guy who owns a campground 5 minutes away. I guaranteed him business if he would give me a reduced entrance fee for the kids. He was really nice, and I think happy to have this exposure. This campground is one where you'd set up your camper on the back of your truck, not one where you would pitch a tent. It's right in the middle of the next town over, but obscured by lots of trees and parks. Anyway, it has a decent sized pool, really perfect for the swimming lessons. The first day I was really nervous, because I hadn't actually been in the pool, hadn't checked the depth, but I had hear that it was really cold and too deep for most kids. Sure enough, the first day was a flop. I froze for 2 hours, and none of the kids really wanted to be in the pool. It was the end of the cool season, it had just rained, and the pool had just been filled up. The water was below 80 degrees, I'm sure. Nobody wanted to be there, me included, and the little beginners couldn't do anything other than hold onto the edge anyway. I was so miserable and felt like the whole thing was a huge failure. It was a time of helplessness where I had no power to change things, but knowing a God who does, I went to Him. And sure enough, in His goodness he brought about a great success in the swimming lessons. We had only perfect weather from then on, which warmed up the water nicely and made it actually desirable to be in the pool. I bought some water noodles for the beginners, and they were my saving grace for not being able to work with them one on one (I had average 4 kids per class). They felt totally confident with these noodles to be on their own so we could work on the various skills all at the same time. And the moms loved the proximity to home and the opportunity to hang out for a bit by the pool and socialize.
I certainly have been enjoying this preoccupation, in spite of the work that it turned out to be. I'm recognizing more and more my tendency to have big ideas that I think would be so easy to implement, but then as I attempt to make them a reality I realize sometimes it takes so much more than originally thought. I once told my parents when I was 8? that we needed a pool in the backyard in Grand Junction, CO. They didn't think I was serious. I got frustrated, because, really, how hard can it be? Just did a hole in the ground, line it with cement, and fill it with water? When I told them that they just laughed. But I still think like that. Really, how hard can it be to hold swimming lessons in the summer? ...at a pool I'm not familiar with owned by people I can't communicate with, at a pool where kids can't touch, when subject to weather, to kids of so many skill levels, when I have to contend with the crowd of campers that want to swim, too. Because I'm deficient in thinking everything through, I'm so thankful for people that help me think through things. Izabella, Anne, and Jennifer were three moms that were a big help. Two heads are better than one, that's for sure! Sometimes four heads are even better.
Anyway, like I said before, it's turned out to be a big success, thanks to God. It's been fun to get to know these families more. And I forget how wonderfully cute little kids are! I love high schoolers, but it has been refreshing to be with these little kids. They actually listen to what I'm saying! And do it! =)
1 comment:
Isn't He wonderful! And I am so proud of you for giving your time and efforts to children. Now there is an investement! Mamka
Post a Comment