23rd annual Nike Budapest halfmarathon.I finished it, anyway! =) I was not feeling very well at all the day before, like I was coming down with a cold or a fever; I was very low on energy. These are not good running conditions. The morning of I almost bowed out of the race, as I was still not feeling well. Had it been just another training day, I would have nixed the run entirely. But this was a big deal and too hard to let go of... And so I ran it, keeping my expectations low for myself, not wanting to push it. I ended up running a 2:06:26 race, which considering my state of well-being was not too bad. Actually, it was about where I was hoping to finish even had I felt great. So I'm pleased. Just think if I HAD felt great! The entrance fee included free admission to the Szechenyi Baths right at the finish line, so Suzanne (one of the school moms that ran it with me) and I made sure we took advantage of that for some well-deserved rest and relaxation. I'm glad I ended up running it after all, but I definately came down with a cold/allergies/who knows what for the next few days. I'm considering it a training run for the Lake Balaton race in November!
The next day the HS soccer team had a game against the ICSB staff. We the staff were hurting for players, but nobody really knew of anybody to recruit. Nobody, that is, except me. Lisa to the rescue! I recruited Esther's (you remember her from last year...former student who got married and had a baby last summer) husband, Norbi, and his friend to play with us, as well as our landlady's son, and then another guy from church. I was able to come through with not just 1 but 4 more soccer players, and Hungarian soccer players at that! It made me feel like I was really a part of the culture and people here; like I know people. It's too easy to become consumed with school-related things and maintain a focus within the scope of all that is ICSB. But I am so thankful for the opportunities I have at church and through my Hungarian friends that pull me outside of that bubble and allow me to get to know more Hungarians and the Hungarian way of life. Esther and Norbi, Jr. also came out to watch the game, and so that was neat to spend some time with them. Little Norbi is not little at all anymore. He's such a big baby! He's walking now; so sweet and adorable. They are doing well.
Speaking of getting out into the community, the outreach team that I'm leading this year went into the city and did their first street dramas on Thursday and Friday. I can't tell you how much excitement there is surrounding this ministry this year. I was asked to head it up back in May, and while I was excited to serve in this capacity, I really didn't know what to expect. I had ideas of what service opportunities I wanted to create for the students, but I didn't have anything very concrete. Then, through my exposure this summer to street evangelism combined with many of the students' same experiences over the summer of doing street in Mexico and elsewhere, the outreach team of ICSB took this natural turn towards street evangelism as one of the key modes of ministry. It's only the 4th week, but it has become the greatest source and outlet of enthusiasm by the students thus far. They were chomping at the bit from the start to get out there and perform the drama and share the gospel. I wasn't able to go with them this week, but I couldn't stand to dampen their enthusiasm, so we recruited some parents to accompany them. I will get an earful tomorrow at school, I'm sure, but I did already get a few reports of success and witnessing God at work through the students. You can click here to read Liz's (my student leader) update on how it went. I'm really looking forward to seeing how God will continue to work to reveal Himself to us and through us this year. You will hear more of this, to be sure! =)
In addition to all this, I've been:
- coaching middle school soccer
- planning lessons like a real teacher should
- getting our car fixed
- co-leading a Bible study for the sophomore girls
- still getting my school room organized
- attending too many meetings
- teaching the planned lessons like a real teacher should
- failing at staying in touch with people back home =(
- relaxing at a quaint Hungarian castle for our staff retreat, and...
TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
2 comments:
Good report! "But if you serve them sad meals, no one will come."
Mamka
I love you! You are such a go-getter. Way to go on the soccer recruiting especially.
Thanks for the update. It is precious to me.
Post a Comment