Friday, April 04, 2008

crazy kids

In Biology class we are studying plants. I was trying to come up with a good review assignment that would tie in all the various vocab words that they are learning regarding structure and types of plants. The night before I had NO idea what to do, but as I was falling asleep I had a brilliant idea pop into my head, which I carried out the next day in classes. I had my students make up a plant. I told them to imagine they were in an unexplored area of the rain forest and came across this crazy plant. They had to draw it, name it using binomial nomenclature, label it using all our vocabulary words, and then describe the plant using the vocabulary words as well. I wish I could scan some of these in, but as I can't I will just tell you a few of them, as they are hilarious.

Mason, and avid basketball follower, "discovered" Lebronus jamius, an angiosperm with red and gold flowers in the shape of a '23'.

Robert discovered Flyus swattus, a flowering plant that looks like a fly swatter and catches flies. It is a carniverous plant.
and my personal favorite...the iPodus, discovered by Tina. It is also a flowering plant in the shape of, you guessed it, an iPod. It's outstanding feature is that it actually plays music! to attract bugs.


Okay, so it was somewhat of a silly assignment, but these kids are just so funny. And I was sick of grading multiple choice worksheets...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work! You just keep those students on their toes! Mamka

SP said...

Wow! You are an Ah-Mazing teacher! Miss you lots!

Alli said...

I love it. I remember talking to you that night. Wish I could say I inspired you....but we both know you are brilliant on your own. You are an incredible teacher. I miss those crazy kids!