
I ran my first race in Budapest today! It was a 12k (7.2 mi), and I ran it in 1:04. I haven't been very consistent in my training, especially after being sick all winter and having to contend with weather up until now. So, when I clocked 8.8 minute miles for 7.2 miles, I was very pleased. I was so nervous beforehand, especially since I can't really communicate with people here still, or not very well, anyway, and before the race I had no idea where anything was or how they had things set up. But I made it to Margit Island, the site of the start and finish, with plenty of time to spare, so I just wandered around and figured everything out before hand. The race itself was hard but therefore so good. We ran all through the city, so there was plenty to see along the way. A TON of people were out and about, as it was a gorgeous, sunny day, just a little cool, perfect for exercising. Many people were present for the races, (well over 1,000 people participated in the 12k), but so many people were just out to enjoy the parks on Margit. I ran by some guys fully suited out in American football gear, shoulder pads, helmets and all, running plays. I don't know how necessary the gear was, as there were only 6 of them...they weren't playing against each other, no tackling going on... But everyone and there dog was out to take in the sun. I loved it. And I ran across some little old ladies selling tulips on the way back to my car, so I brought home a bouquet of red and yellow for our dining room table. Just a perfect Sunday afternoon!...
...until I started doing my taxes. Granted, the deadline is almost upon us, but don't think that I haven't done anything up until this time. I have tried to work on them, but constantly run up against a wall, if not 6. I tried again today, and I want to throw something through a window I'm so frustrated. How in the world are you supposed to file when: you live in a foreign country for most of the year, but less than 330 days, but your income is from a US source, but you're not employed by an organization, but you are not self-employed either? Furthermore, you need to file a Wisconsin return, but you're a nonresident who worked in Illinois, and your permanent address is now in Kansas? It's so complicated that the spiffy software put out by the spiffy online tax filing services can't even handle it. They are making me print something out and mailing it in... The day started off great, and will end on a very bad, low note. I hate taxes.
5 comments:
Noyo,noyo.
Love, Your friends at H & R Block
(Great job on the run. Sounds like a good time. Great photo also!!) Mamka
How dare the US government ruin your lovely day like that! I wish that I were a CPA so that I could swoop in and figure it all out- like you don't have enough to think about already...You can only give it your best shot, so keep up the good work of trying to get if figured out. Chances are the IRS there will be only slightly less confused by your situation than you. What about the other teachers? Can you all do a filing-taxes study group?
Man, Siis, that sounds just dastardly!! Those kooks in the IRS think up those rules the way John Madden thinks up football analogies !! Grrrrrr...
I filed mine about 6-7 days ago; not because they were hard but because I kept coming up with an answer I didn't like ~ I OWE more money. I'm barely cresting 28K annually and yet I still owe more in taxes...something smells here.
Glad you had a good run! I'm heading down to Madison in a week to run in a 5k ~ should be fun.
(Oh! and not to be snippety language-snob, but..it's "everyone and THEIR dog")...this exasperating habit comes naturally - I'm sorry! :-/
Man, Siis, that sounds just dastardly!! Those kooks in the IRS think up those rules the way John Madden thinks up football analogies !! Grrrrrr...
I filed mine about 6-7 days ago; not because they were hard but because I kept coming up with an answer I didn't like ~ I OWE more money. I'm barely cresting 28K annually and yet I still owe more in taxes...something smells here.
Glad you had a good run! I'm heading down to Madison in a week to run in a 5k ~ should be fun.
(Oh! and not to be snippety language-snob, but..it's "everyone and THEIR dog")...this exasperating habit comes naturally - I'm sorry! :-/
Man, Siis, that sounds just dastardly!! Those kooks in the IRS think up those rules the way John Madden thinks up football analogies !! Grrrrrr...
I filed mine about 6-7 days ago; not because they were hard but because I kept coming up with an answer I didn't like ~ I OWE more money. I'm barely cresting 28K annually and yet I still owe more in taxes...something smells here.
Glad you had a good run! I'm heading down to Madison in a week to run in a 5k ~ should be fun.
(Oh! and not to be snippety language-snob, but..it's "everyone and THEIR dog")...this exasperating habit comes naturally - I'm sorry! :-/
Post a Comment