
So my absolute favorite cookie out there is the chocolate chip pumpkin cookie. Growing up, my mother would traditionally make Choco-dot pumpkin cake for my birthday, seasonally appropriate for November. I still love that cake! The combination of pumpkin and chocolate is just amazing. Well, I stumbled upon a pumpkin cookie recipe about 4 years ago and I knew we were bound to become very close friends. I changed it around a bit (not something I always try to do to my friends...) so that it was healthier. The amount of butter and sugar in the original is way more than necessary, and you don't even miss it in the final product. Pumpkin itself is sweet and bakes into something soft and chewy and delectable. BUT, I had to incorporate CHOCOLATE. The original recipe with just the icing is also very good, but you can't get any better than the heavenly combination of pumpkin and chocolate. You cannot go wrong with these cookies; everyone loves them. And so I give you my recipe. While there is no truly healthy cookie out there, this is certainly a much healthier alternative to regular chocolate chip cookies, providing lower calories and more vital nutrients than their predecessor. Indulge below:
1 cup dark brown sugar
¼ - ½ cup butter
15oz canned pumpkin
1 egg
1 tbsp. grated orange peel
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. or more =) dark chocolate chips
Cream sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add pumpkin, egg and orange peel and mix together. Add dry ingredients slowly and mix. Drop by teaspoonful on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
Iced version, also very delicious:
1/4 cup margarine or butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1-2 T milk
2 comments:
your favorite presidential candidate approves of this message.
These cookies are GOOD! Try 'em people- they are our favorite!
I made these last night for our Superbowl party- not necessarily a traditional superbowl food, but once again, as always, a big hit. I can't believe you're just giving the recipe away!
Post a Comment