Monday, December 24, 2007

21st century Dorothy

In many ways I can relate to Dorothy of the acclaimed story Wizard of Oz. A week ago I just wanted to go home, and 4 days ago I tapped my heels 3 times and said, " there's no place like home", and then 2 days ago I woke up in Kansas. But really, truly I can't relate. Kansas is not my home. And in all honesty I don't know where to call home. That's been the case my entire life, but it's just so interesting how it has persisted until now, with my parents moving from Kenosha to Lawrence. They are the only home I really know. There is a lot of significance to a "place" that is called home. The memories, the scenery, the smells, the sounds, the people, the familiar roads and buildings all contribute to our sense of belonging and security. And in that regard I am priviliged to be able to call so many places around the world "home". But the home that I refer to anymore when I say "I just want to go home" simply means being with my family and relaxing in the security of their presence. I am just a little girl who needs to be taken care of, and my family knows how to beautifully. The comfort and security I find in them is the best safe harbor in the world. I think Dorothy would agree with me on that.

No comments: